Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Les Miserables Review

Last night, I went to see Les Miserables at the 10:00 premiere. I had been waiting for this movie for most of the year, and I had seen the trailer (my favorite of all time) about thirty times. I suppose I should start this post with a bit of personal background, as many other reviews have done. I have never seen Les Mis performed on stage, but I've seen the 10th and 25th anniversary concerts multiple times and have listened to the soundtrack many, many times. I know the words to the songs, some of which are my favorite in music, theatre or not. "On My Own", "Do You Hear The People Sing", and "I Dreamed A Dream", among others, just pack such an emotional punch that nothing else can.

Sitting next to me was my mom, who has seen the show performed multiple times and knows the words as well. Next to her was my dad, who, though he has seen the show live, doesn't know the words, but still loves all movie musicals. Then at the end of the row was my brother, who hasn't seen the show and doesn't know any of the songs. Seeing the movie with my family, who have different perspectives, has really helped put the movie in context.

Now, to some actual reviewing. Personally, I loved the movie. I absolutely loved it. To adapt the stage version of Les Mis and put it on screen, with actors singing live on set, is a very, very difficult thing to do. Thus, after reading early reviews, my expectations were a bit tempered going in. I knew I couldn't expect perfection. But I was drawn in by the acting and the music immediately, which was fantastically pulled off. Everybody in the movie delivers a great performance acting-wise. As for the singing, I thought everybody did a great job as well, but there was a very clear divide between the theatre actors (Samantha Barks/Eponine, Eddie Redmayne/Marius) and the A-listers. Russell Crowe acted Javert very well, but he just couldn't keep up with the singing talent around him and the emotional ride slowed a bit as I realized Javert was Russell Crowe just trying his best to keep up with everyone else. That said, there was not a single song I didn't like and the biggest element of the film, the music, was great all around.

Cinematically, the movie could have been better. The direction didn't do much to help the film in any way. I wasn't focusing too much on the camera movements trying to keep myself together, but in hindsight I know that Tom Hooper shifted his style right from The King's Speech to Les Mis. Hooper isn't a great director camera-wise, but I do have to give the guy credit for managing to pull off a colossal project. The staging and set design was magnificent. The barricade (THE BARRICADE!!!!) was really well done, and though I have nothing to compare its visuals to, Hooper pulled that one off. 

So I've had the night and morning to think about the movie. I know that when I compile my favorite movies of the year list in a couple weeks, Les Mis will be near the top. But I think that's because it's Les-freaking-Miserables, not because it's a perfect movie by any means. I also understand that people who don't connect with the music like I do will have a hard time with the movie. My brother had no idea what was going on and the emotion was lost on him, and I get that. It's a hard movie to follow if you don't know what's being said (sung) or the plot. So I understand the harsher reviews the movie has gotten. That said, I wouldn't be upset if the movie won a lot of Oscars because I know how hard this project must have been. It won't be the best movie of the year, but it will be the grandest in scale. 

So should you go see the movie? 

If you're like my mom and me, absolutely. I can only assume that most of the people in the theater last night loved Les Mis going in, and by the end, you could hear sniffling and sobbing in the entire room. 

If you're like my dad, somebody who just really likes movie musicals, I would go see it. The music in Les Mis is better than every other musical's. 

Now, if you're like my brother, somebody who has no connection with the musical but just wants to go see a good movie, I would pull up a plot summary of the musical and read it a couple of times, and then go see it. The movie will be hard to follow otherwise. But if you have a little bit of background, I think you'll enjoy it for what it is.

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing a song of angry men,
It is the music of a people
Who will not be slaves again.......

No comments:

Post a Comment